named logging

mjsager mjsager at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 15:53:52 UTC 2006

If there is an error in our zone file, spelling, duplicate entry, named
doesn't start up. If we do an rndc reload when there is this error,
named doesn't reload anything and just keeps the old data around.

When we go to start it up, it doesn't log why it doesn't start up.
Under our Solaris build it would say, such and such a line in file
gives us this error. It came up recently because someone made a change
that listed the same zone twice with two different authoritative
masters.

local2 writes out to /var/log/named, which gives us all sorts of
informations when zones are loaded etc etc, transfers etc etc.