Journal errors

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Apr 18 14:22:43 UTC 2006

"Phillip" <preeves1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>We have Bind 9.2.3 running on RHE3.   Our redhat servers are slaves to
>windows servers.  The errors that are piling up in our logs are as
>follows:
>
>named[27177]: malformed transaction: db.mydomain.com.jnl last serial
>20065 != transaction first serial 20064
>named[27177]: transfer of 'mydomain.com/IN' from 192.168.100.10 #53:
>failed while receiving responses: unexpected error
>named[27177]: transfer of 'mydomain.com/IN' from 192.168.100.10#53: end
>of transfer
>named[27177]: zone mydomain.com/IN: transferred serial 20065
>
>These are the only errors or warnings that we recieve in our logs and
>we get about 50 a day.  Not a big deal but getting annoying.  Ive been
>searching for the past few weeks for the answer to this question
>myself.   I read a little and it says that jnl files are created on a
>BIND server that permits IXFR transfers to reduce network traffic.
>These files are created when a primary server announces that an update
>has been made.  The jnl files hold for 15 minutes (I think) waiting on
>any more updates and then once the time expires BIND attempts to merge
>the changes into the existing db file on the slave server.  When I
>monitored the changes I would look at the Windows servers and notice
>that they might make 2 or 3 changes per 15 minutes, maybe more.  Every
>change it would update the jnl file with an updated SOA.  All this
>makes sense to me even the message...
>
>"named[27177]: malformed transaction: db.mydomain.com.jnl last serial
>20065 != transaction first serial 20064"
>
>However I dont understand why it errors in the updating of the db
>record after this and surely it has nothing to do with the diff in
>SOAs.  I was wondering if this was a bug in BIND 9.2.X

I am seeing messages like this:

     Apr 18 03:12:44 dns0.anl.gov named[163]: [ID 873579 daemon.error]
       malformed transaction: cmt.anl.gov.jnl last serial 2001077345 !=
       transaction first serial 2001077344

In my case, the master for the zone in question is a MS W2k+3 DNS
Server, with many DDNS updates throughout the day from a MS W2k+3 DHCP
Server.  I slave the zone internally on BIND dns1.anl.gov.  I want the
zone on dns0 (a hidden BIND "master") so that I can process it along
with my other zones via scripts.  For various reasons I cannot have
dns0 be a slave to the W2k+3 DNS Server, so I use dns1 as the master.
I think in this case that dns1 starts an IXFR to dns0, and during the
IXFR an IXFR arrives at dns1 from the real W2k+3 DNS master.  So, this
error is between two BIND 9.2.4 systems.  I know that I need to upgrade
to the latest BIND 3.x.  As with Phillip, "I was wondering if this was
a bug in BIND 9.2.X."  I am not seeing any of these errors in the
AXFR/IXFR from the W2k+3 DNS Server to any of my foour BIND slave
servers.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov