Strang name resolution behavior

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 13:56:40 UTC 2006

Could it be that the hosts in mydomain.local. that you want to use are
also defined in /etc/hosts? Because in that case the nameserver would
not be queried.

So you're saying that with query logging enabled, BIND doesn't report
any incoming queries when you try the commands/programs which fail to
resolve?

I re-read your initial mail and it's not clear from it - is resolution
failing from the host running the nameserver? Or from linux hosts that
are configured to use that nameserver? Are you querying the nameserver
using host/dig from that same machine, or from another Linux box on
the network?

Stefan.