Strang name resolution behavior

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 08:25:38 UTC 2006

On 4/19/06, Dr. Harry Knitter <harry at knitter-edv-beratung.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 19. April 2006 15:56 schrieb Stefan Puiu:
> > Could it be that the hosts in mydomain.local. that you want to use are
> > also defined in /etc/hosts? Because in that case the nameserver would
> > not be queried.
> >
> no. If I had it in hosts, ping would work .

Not if it would point to the wrong IP. Also, you said that dig/host
work, but not normal programs, now the only differences I can think of
are that 1) normal programs go through the resolver library, which
will read /etc/hosts before doing an actual query (because of what you
have in /etc/nsswitch.conf) and 2) the domain would be appended on all
non fully qualified queries (i.e. somehost as opposed to
somehost.mydomain.local.).

How does ping fail? Are you sure it doesn't get to query the
nameserver? Can you try tracing if there are any packets sent using
tcpdump? Or alternatively, use strace to see what actually happens
when ping needs to resolve?

How are your applications failing? Are they timing out on all queries?
Do your Windows clients have a default domain defined, just like the
Windows ones?