Journal errors

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Apr 28 13:55:12 UTC 2006

>> And I replied:
>>
>>> I am seeing messages like this:
>>>
>>>     Apr 18 03:12:44 dns0.anl.gov named[163]: [ID 873579 daemon.error]
>>>       malformed transaction: cmt.anl.gov.jnl last serial 2001077345 !=
>>>       transaction first serial 2001077344
>>>
>>> In my case, the master for the zone in question is a MS W2k+3 DNS
>>> Server, with many DDNS updates throughout the day from a MS W2k+3 DHCP
>>> Server.  I slave the zone internally on BIND dns1.anl.gov.  I want the
>>> zone on dns0 (a hidden BIND "master") so that I can process it along
>>> with my other zones via scripts.  For various reasons I cannot have
>>> dns0 be a slave to the W2k+3 DNS Server, so I use dns1 as the master.
>>> I think in this case that dns1 starts an IXFR to dns0, and during the
>>> IXFR an IXFR arrives at dns1 from the real W2k+3 DNS master.  So, this
>>> error is between two BIND 9.2.4 systems.  I know that I need to upgrade
>>> to the latest BIND 3.x.  As with Phillip, "I was wondering if this was
>>> a bug in BIND 9.2.X."  I am not seeing any of these errors in the
>>> AXFR/IXFR from the W2k+3 DNS Server to any of my foour BIND slave
>>> servers.

and later I replied:

Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net> replied to my posting:

>I seem to recall that Windows DNS doesn't do IXFR correctly and it's
>very hard to get right. BIND 8 was never quite right and it wasn't until
>BIND 9 that BIND was able to do it correctly. There were also some
>interesting requirements discussed on namedroppers that needed to be
>implemented on conforming servers in order for this to work. I suggested
>you fall back to AXFR.

As far as I can tell, there is no problem with the IXFRs from Windows
to my BIND server dns1.  The problem is with the accumulation of
updates on dns1 being packaged correctly to do an IXFR to another BIND
server.  As dns1 does not NOTIFY dns0 when there is a new copy of the
zone, the IXFRs on dns1 get stacked until the refresh timer on dns0
determines that it is time for another SOA serial check on dns1.
But as I previously wrote, I have not looked at the snoop packets in
detail to determine exactly what is causing the BIND error message.
I do not know if the original IXFR packets from Windows to dns1 have
problems, and those problems are not reported as errors until the
subsequent IXFR to the dns0 BIND box.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov