secondary dns problem

dawn dawn.connelly at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 05:20:53 UTC 2006

Check the expire on your zone file. My guess is that it is extremely
low. The top of your file will look something like:
domainname.com             IN SOA  dns.domainname.com.
emailaddress.domainname.com. (
                                2006080800 ; serial
                                28800      ; refresh (8 hours)
                                7200       ; retry (2 hours)
                                604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
                                )

If you don't have them labeled (which I would suggest doing), make sure
that the expire is at least an hour.

You also want to look at your log file. The default location is
/var/log usually. Your named.conf file will specify where BIND is
logging to. Do a grep on the file for the name of your domain and see
what it tells you. If you get "EXPIRED", you found your problem.