How to reduce the number of IP address returned when resolving a big round robin DNS entry

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Dec 2 04:12:56 UTC 2006

In article <ekprud$2hh9$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at center.osis.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 11:21:44PM +0100, besnard michel wrote:
> > i saw that DJBDNS send 8 reponses from a random sets of hosts... a small and
> > good LB  function like i want
>

> In other words, it lied.  I do not want that!  An authoritative name
> server is supposed to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but
> the truth [well, maybe some additional information ;-)].

I'll bet it's a configurable setting.  If it tells the "whole truth"
when the administrator tells it to, what's wrong with it offering other
options that some people may find useful?

And in a practical sense, do you really need all 50 addresses of
something to be returned all the time?  How many applications can make
effective use of that?  For instance, I think RFC 2821 recommends that
SMTP clients limit the number of failover attempts they try.  And in the
case of interactive applications, few end users will wait for dozens of
failovers before they cancel the connection.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA