BIND 9 crapping out at 510 MB

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Sat Dec 2 20:38:02 UTC 2006

>At 10:34 AM 10/20/2006, Len Conrad wrote:
> >fbsd 4.11
> >BIND 9.3.2
> >
> >recursive-only named.
> >
> >On two different machines, 2 or 3 times each, when the named
> >footprint reaches about 510 MB,
> >queries fail with SRFVAIL,
> >rndc flush and rndc stop don't work,
> >rndc status does work
> >
> >kill named-pid  doesn't work
> >
> >we must "kill -KILL named-pid"
> >
> >To try to prevent the problem, we have added
> >
> >max-cache-ttl 43200
> >
> >to try to flush records at 12 hours max.
> >
> >Len
>
>Hello,
>
>You likely are running into the default value of a maximum of 512MB
>per process in FreeBSD.

to close the thread, and for the record/archives:

on fbsd 4.11, I added to /boot/loader.conf:

kern.maxdsiz="1073741824"

giving this result:

#limits
Resource limits (current):
   cputime          infinity secs
   filesize         infinity kb
   datasize          1048576 kb <<<<<<<<<
   stacksize           65536 kb
   coredumpsize     infinity kb
   memoryuse        infinity kb
   memorylocked     infinity kb
   maxprocesses         5547
   openfiles           11095
   sbsize           infinity bytes
   vmemoryuse       infinity kb

BIND memory footprint has been flirting with 600 MB for several days
with no problems.  Slightly over 2M cache records when "rndc dumpdb"
and counted.

thanks
Len