error: bad dotted quad

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Dec 7 23:02:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 02:45:19PM -0800, Bryan Irvine wrote:
> On 12/7/06, Dawn Connelly <dawn.connelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think you are looking for a CNAME record rather than an A record my
> > friend. Try doing:
> >         IN CNAME            usnlbc.us.publicus.com.
> > A record expect IP addresses. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNAME
>

> I actually tried that first:
>
>         IN CNAME        usnlbc.us.publicus.com.
>
> here's the error I got then:
> /master/kingcountyjournal.com.hosts: CNAME and other data

You may not have a name on the left of a CNAME record and on the left of
any other record.  In this case, if the text in your zone file actually
does start with white space as in your message, then the name on the
left is the name from the previous record, so there is obviously another
record.  [I had thought you had just deleted the name there, myself.]

You do need to have an "A" record, but it must have a numeric IP address
on the right hand side: "209.225.11.186".

And you will have to monitor that IP address in case it changes.

Alternately: you could have
web	IN CNAME	usnlbc.us.publicus.com.
as long as "web" does not appear on the left side of any other records
in this zone.  [Or "www" if you prefer, nine syllables versus one ...]

;-)

[And seriously, what's with the reply-to:?  ;->]

--
Joe Yao