error: bad dotted quad

Bryan Irvine sparctacus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 23:26:46 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at center.osis.gov> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 02:45:19PM -0800, Bryan Irvine wrote:
> > On 12/7/06, Dawn Connelly <dawn.connelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think you are looking for a CNAME record rather than an A record my
> > > friend. Try doing:
> > >         IN CNAME            usnlbc.us.publicus.com.
> > > A record expect IP addresses. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNAME
> >

> > I actually tried that first:
> >
> >         IN CNAME        usnlbc.us.publicus.com.
> >
> > here's the error I got then:
> > /master/kingcountyjournal.com.hosts: CNAME and other data
>

> You may not have a name on the left of a CNAME record and on the left of
> any other record.  In this case, if the text in your zone file actually
> does start with white space as in your message, then the name on the
> left is the name from the previous record, so there is obviously another
> record.  [I had thought you had just deleted the name there, myself.]
>
> You do need to have an "A" record, but it must have a numeric IP address
> on the right hand side: "209.225.11.186".
>
> And you will have to monitor that IP address in case it changes.

ok I get it.

> Alternately: you could have
> web     IN CNAME        usnlbc.us.publicus.com.
> as long as "web" does not appear on the left side of any other records
> in this zone.  [Or "www" if you prefer, nine syllables versus one ...]

wait, now I'm confused again. ;)

there is indeed white space, it shows up exactly as printed.

(is this called origin record or some such thing?)

        IN CNAME        usnlbc.us.publicus.com.

This is the only record like this in the entire zone.  Though there is
another that looks like this:

www    IN CNAME     usnlbc.us.publicus.com.

> [And seriously, what's with the reply-to:?  ;->]

You're just jealous!  :-p