Name Server Question

seekuel seekuel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 17:30:17 UTC 2006

Hello group,
I am new to BIND and I've configured a centos 4.4 box with bind,
bind-chroot, caching-nameserver installed. This box functions an
authoritative name server for our domain.

I am confuse. This server is an authoritative server for our domain and when
our work station uses its public ip as the dns that workstation cannot
resolve other domains. This is also true in the server it self. If I edit
/etc/resolv.conf to 127.0.0.1 or its public ip the server cannot resolve to
other domains say google.com. When I use our ISP's dns in /etc/resolv.conf
then it can resolve to other domains.

This are some of my questions. In an authoritative name server, why is it
that even a caching-nameserver is installed and change /etc/resolv.conf to
the server's ip this server cannot resolve to other domain but it can
resolve our domain. Is there something wrong with the configurations? Im
willing to attach the configuration if needed.

Any suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks and more power

- Sandeil