a small remark, maybe not the place for it....

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Fri Feb 3 17:17:25 UTC 2006

In article <ds025s$14e4$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Gregory Hicks
<ghicks at cadence.com> wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:56:30 +0100
> > From: vaillant at ganil.fr (Vaillant Daniel)
> > To: bind-users at isc.org
> > Subject: a small remark, maybe not the place for it....
> >
> > hi, list-manager
> >
> > This list is prolific and generate a lot of interesting mails.
> > Some (many)  lists have the feature to start with a tag
> > let's say [BIND-USERS] for instance.
> > This enable to eye-catch and eye-sort and eventually MUA-sort the mail.
> >
> > My question is: why not to join this way of doing for bind-users.
>
> There are MANY, many lists that do NOT do this also.
>
> For me to sort out the bind-users mail, I look for @isc.org somewhere
> in the email.
>
> There are a few - very few - other lists where ISC people post there
> (Hi Joe!), but I recognize these and treat accordingly...
>
> So a good 'sort' filter?  "@isc.org"
>
> Still...  Could be done I guess.

Since I read this material in comp.protocols.dns.bind rather than being
on the mailing list directly it may be inappropriate for me to state my
preference, but for what it's worth it is:

*** NO, NO AND THRICE NO! ***

The proper way to decide whether a message comes via a mailing list is
to look for an appropriate header, usually Sender: but the ISC list
handler may have offer a more appropriate choice.  Changing the
Subject: field is almost always the wrong thing to do and is likely to
lead to various sorts of brokenness.

Sam Wilson
Network Development Team, Infrastructure Services Division
Computing Services, The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK