question regarding "glue domains"

Christian Smith csmith.lunchmeat at dyndns.org
Sat Feb 4 04:39:30 UTC 2006

In article <ds1a14$1dnn$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "John MacKenzie" <john at yourcompsolution.com> wrote:

> When I contacted 1and1 they stated "your package doesn't allow the
> creation of subdomains, so we can't help you with that"
>
> But due to the fact they don't host my DNS , then their ability to
> create subdomains for my zone in the "package" seems irrelavant, or
> maybe I'm not understanding something.
>
> The domain in question is yourcompsolution.com
>
> Ns1.yourcompsolution.com = 207.234.224.185
> 207.234.224.185 = samsara.yourcompsolution.com
>
> Current NS =
> Ns1.primarydns.com
> Ns2.primarydns.com
>
> What I want :
> Ns1.yourcompsolution.com
> Ns2.primarydns.com
>
> Is there any way I can get around 1and1 or better explain my needs? I
> simply asked for a "glue domain for my nameserver"
>
> Would it be that setting my primary to ns1.yourcompsolution.com would
> create this glue record? But if so then I'm in a catch 22.
>
> From the info in their FAQ I believe I did everything they require.
> Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm just a little lost as to what I
> can do next.
>
> - John

Registering name servers (i.e. creating glue records) is one of the
chief responsibilities of the registrar of the domain. 1and1 needs to
provide a means by which this can be accomplished.

Unfortunately, 1and1 pretty much sucks as a registrar, so best of luck
finding out from them how to accomplish this. As long as 1and1 is your
registrar they are the only ones who will be able to register
ns.yourcompsolution.com as a name server.

So, either you have to get 1and1 to do this, or you need to transfer the
domain to another registrar. Ask your DNS provider who they recommend.

Chris