Urgent help - reverse lookup failures

Netfortius netfortius at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 00:45:33 UTC 2006

I apologize for the "urgent" in the title, but I am having a real huge
problem, caused by reverse DNS failures, and I do not know where to correct
it. Here is the sequence of events, and the issue itself:

Settings prior to a change we had to carry out today (irreversible change, by
the way):

- name server for my company on machine ns.domain.com - and pointing to the IP
x.y.z.W
- an old web server installed on the same system, called www.domain.com -
obviously pointing to the same IP x.y.z.W

Prior to the change I have checked the parents of my domain.com (via
dnsreport.com), and found that my two name servers were acknowledged to exist
@ ns.domain.com (and a secondary one, hosted by my ISP - irrelevant for the
problem)

Then the change came, in the form of: www.domain.com being given a new IP
(x.y.z.T), i.e. we have finally built the web server on its own box, and
moved it from the name server original host.

Running a checkup afterwards, all direct name resolutions work fine, as
everybody queries my existing ns.domain.com, BUT all the reverse lookups for
the address pool I have (x.y.z.<something>) started failing, because they
query the www.domain.com (?!? instead of ns.domain.com ?!?), which - not
"being on" the name server IP anymore - obviously cannot resolve anything ...

So - where is this information saved (i.e. which system to query for a reverse
lookup for a specific domain), and how could I fix the above described
failure?

TIA,
Stef