Bind 9 slaves - new zones are never picked up

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sat Feb 25 02:26:35 UTC 2006

> 	So you upgrade from a ancient version of BIND 8 to a ancient
> 	version of BIND 9.  BIND 9.2.1 is well past its "use by"
> 	date.
>
> 	BIND 9.2.6 / BIND 9.3.2 are the current versions.
>
> 	Note: Support for BIND 9.2.x will cease 6 months after the
> 	release of BIND 9.4.0.  Similarly BIND 9.3.x support will
> 	cease 6 months after the release of BIND 9.5.0.  BIND 9.4.0
> 	is currently with alpha testers.
>
> 	Add/remove the definitions from named.conf then run 'rndc
> 	reload' / 'rndc reconfig'.  This really is no different to
> 	BIND 8 and 'ndc reload' / 'ndc reconfig'.  If you manage to
> 	break rndc then 'kill -1' will reload named.

Interestingly enough, I was debugging this very issue earlier today on a
BIND 9.3.1 authoritative nameserver.

I get a "server reload successful" in reply to the reload command and
nothing in reply to a reconfig.  Zones listed in the config file are
not retransferred (I deleted 10.in-addr.arpa just to see) and the new
zones added are not transferred either.  Server returns SERVFAIL for
requests.

I've not come to a resolution just yet.  I hate to go gunning down the
server to force the issue...

... JG