Bind 9 slaves - new zones are never picked up

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Feb 25 01:56:14 UTC 2006

> Hi,
>
> I am migrating from bind 8.2.4 to bind 9.  Our house master and all but
> two slave are running bind 8.2.4.  I replaced one of the main
> production slaves with an AIX 5.2 box running 9.2 last week.
>
> The new slave, and a backup AIX 5.1 box running 9.2.1 are performing
> well except in one area:  we add and delete zones regularly because we
> are a "project" support site and we have customers with different name
> and IP zones coming-and-going regularly.  The bind 9 production (and
> backup) box NEVER transfer/service the new zones.    rndc requests
> don't help.  refresh -s named doesn't help.  I've had to resort to
> kill-9 and restarting (TERM takes too long as the servers are always
> very busy).  Needless to say, this is completely unacceptable.
>
> Our procedure for updating DNS is a much-modified "h2n" within a shell
> that runs on the master and "rdists" the changed named.conf files to
> our slave servers.  Worked great on V4.  Works great on V8 - the slaves
> AXFR the new zones pretty quickly.
>
> Doesn't work at ALL on bind 9.  So I am missing something, and it must
> be something in the configuration.
>
> Can anybody help me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mary

	So you upgrade from a ancient version of BIND 8 to a ancient
	version of BIND 9.  BIND 9.2.1 is well past its "use by"
	date.

	BIND 9.2.6 / BIND 9.3.2 are the current versions.

	Note: Support for BIND 9.2.x will cease 6 months after the
	release of BIND 9.4.0.  Similarly BIND 9.3.x support will
	cease 6 months after the release of BIND 9.5.0.  BIND 9.4.0
	is currently with alpha testers.

	Add/remove the definitions from named.conf then run 'rndc
	reload' / 'rndc reconfig'.  This really is no different to
	BIND 8 and 'ndc reload' / 'ndc reconfig'.  If you manage to
	break rndc then 'kill -1' will reload named.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org