DNS Errors

Lisa Burrows-Collins lisa.collins at neomin.org
Fri Jan 13 14:55:39 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've set up DNS on our Linux Enterprise 4 server. It will resolve names,
but slowly. When I run Ethereal to capture the DNS UDP packets, I see
that I receive a lot of

"Standard query response, Format Error"

in the Ethereal capture. This seems to be associated with the AAAA
lookups . Can I turn off IPV6 in Bind version 9.2.4.

My other alternative I was looking at is upgrading to 9.3. However I
can't find an RPM for 9.3. I downloaded the bind-9.3.2.tar.gz file but
due to a lack of experience with compiling, I'm having problems doing an
install from this download.

I had DNS working just fine under Enterprise 3. I could really use some
advice on the DNS service under Enterprise 4.

Thanks,
Lisa Collins