Reports no PTR record (NXDOMAIN)

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jan 14 02:10:48 UTC 2006

In article <dq96va$2dd5$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner at water.com> wrote:

> Can someone tell me what the above is trying to tell me from
> DNSstuff.com?
> Situation:  We are moving servers to a new provider network so need to
> change IPs.  We had to add an entry for this new subnet to the master's
> named.conf that included an arpa file with 192/27.xx.xx.xx.xx as just
> having the xx.xx.xx.xx didn't work (we presumed this was due to the new
> network being IPv6.

More likely it's because you weren't assigned an entire /24 network, so
you need to use RFC 2317-style reverse delegation.

It's hard to tell anything in particular from the vague problem
description you've given.  Tell us the real address block and we can
probably tell you what you need to do.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA