Reports no PTR record (NXDOMAIN)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jan 14 01:34:53 UTC 2006

Jeff Lightner wrote:

>Can someone tell me what the above is trying to tell me from
>DNSstuff.com?
>Situation:  We are moving servers to a new provider network so need to
>change IPs.  We had to add an entry for this new subnet to the master's
>named.conf that included an arpa file with 192/27.xx.xx.xx.xx as just
>having the xx.xx.xx.xx didn't work (we presumed this was due to the new
>network being IPv6.
>
>I put the slave server into the new network today and found it wouldn't
>do reverse lookups any longer so removed the "192/27" from its
>named.conf and told it to be the master for the new subnet (for now).
>
>On using nslookup and specifying the slave it does forward and reverse
>lookups just fine.   DNSstuff does the forward and reverse OK but I'm
>assuming it's getting its responses from the master which has not yet
>been moved into the new subnet.  Accordingly I clicked on the traverse
>link they have and sure enough it shows my master reports the correct
>name for the slave (using the slave's new IP) but then it shows the
>slave itself (which has been updated at the registrars and does show the
>new IP in this output) with the above message.
>
>However the arpa file for the new subnet contains the same entries on
>both the slave and the master.   Also all other files for the domains
>that would reference this server are the same as well.
>
>Is it the 192/27 stuff and if so is there a way I can make the slave
>within the new subnetwork deal with that?

Jeff,
        Have you read and understood RFC 2317? Seems like you've
degenerated to "guessing and tweaking" mode, instead of really
understanding how things are supposed to work under the covers.

Of course, you're not really giving anyone else a chance to help you
understand what's going on here, since you insist of "anonymizing" your
stuff with xx.xx.xx.xx crap instead of just telling us the real data. So
I guess you're on your own on this one...