problem with zone transfer

Chris Boyd Chris.Boyd at usit.ie
Thu Jan 26 16:37:01 UTC 2006

Every few days we are having problems with local address not resolving. It seems to coincide with a zone transfer in the logs.
Also how do you stop it from doing a zone transfer anyway...as we don't really need to as the file rarely changes?

named[1341]: transfer of 'usit.ie/IN' from 82.195.14
6.192#53: failed while receiving responses: REFUSED
Jan 24 06:30:14 usit-hq-s02 named[1341]: transfer of 'usit.ie/IN' from 82.195.14
6.192#53: end of transfer

It attempts this every 6 hours but only stops resolving every few days so I'm not sure what's going on there.
Anyway to get it to start resolving again you have to incriment the serial # in the respective zone file.

$TTL 3D
@                       IN      SOA     usit-hq-s02.usit.ie. admin.usit.ie. (
                                28              ; Serial
                                10800           ; Refresh
                                3600            ; Retry
                                604800          ; Expire
                                86400 )         ; Minimum TTL
;

named.conf:

zone "usit.ie" in {
        type slave;
        file "usit.zone";
        allow-query {any;};
        masters { 82.195.146.192;};
        also-notify { 10.133.1.230; };
        notify no;
};

copyrighted.  If you are not the intended recipient please
prohibited. USIT has scanned this email for viruses and
dangerous content and believes it to be clean. However,
virus scanning is ultimately the responsibility of the recipient.