Compiling Bind 9.3.2 on Solaris 10

Mike Diggins diggins at McMaster.CA
Mon Jul 3 01:57:41 UTC 2006

I'm trying to compile bind 9.3.2 on Sun Sparc Solaris 10. When I run
'./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bind --enable-threads' I get the
following error:

checking for size_t... yes
checking for ssize_t... yes
checking for uintptr_t... yes
checking for socklen_t... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for long long... yes
checking for struct lifconf... yes
checking if unistd.h or sys/types.h defines fd_set... yes
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes
checking for OpenSSL library... using openssl from /usr/local/ssl/lib and
/usr/local/ssl/include
checking whether linking with OpenSSL works... no
configure: error: Could not run test program using OpenSSL from
/usr/local/ssl/lib and /usr/local/ssl/include.
Please check the argument to --with-openssl and your
shared library configuration (e.g., LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

If I uninstall the package 'openssl-0.9.8b-sol10-sparc-local' then run
configure it works. Any idea what it wants?

-Mike