Name Servers

Douglas Hall Douglas.Hall at Broadsystem.com
Fri Jul 14 07:20:21 UTC 2006

Thanks!! :-)

Doug Hall
IT Support Engineer
Broadsystem Ltd

T: 01753 433000
D: 01753 433042
M: 07712 875492

http://www.broadsystem.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: David Nolan [mailto:vitroth+ at cmu.edu]
Sent: 13 July 2006 18:15
To: Douglas Hall; bind-users at isc.org
Subject: Re: Name Servers

--On Thursday, July 13, 2006 17:12:56 +0100 Douglas Hall
<Douglas.Hall at Broadsystem.com> wrote:

> Is there a "HowTo" somewhere that can help me easily create a bind
> "Cluster" (for want of a better word.)
> i.e. Make a change on ns1 and the change will also reflect on ns2...

You just need a simple master/slave bind setup.

A good online resource is the zytrax.com DNS guide, available at
http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/

In particular, check out the sample configurations in chapter 6:
http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch6/

If you want to go beyond a simple bind setup you may want to look into
tools for maintaining your bind configuration and zones.  There are lots to
choose from, try searching the archives of this list.  (I'm the primary
maintainer of Carnegie Mellon's NetReg, which is one of many systems in
this space.  http://www.net.cmu.edu/netreg    Its designed for fairly large
scale DNS systems, so its probably *not* the right system for you, based on
your description.)

If you want someone more experienced with bind to help you set it up and
maintain it, there are businesses offering that service.  (I run one
myself, feel free to contact me off list...)

-David Nolan
 Network Software Designer
 Computing Services
 Carnegie Mellon University

Broadata is the new online data enhancement and cleansing service from Broadsystem. Combining speed with ease of use it is arguably the most efficient and effective solution of its kind on the market today!

This email is from Broadsystem Limited. The information in this email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error please notify the Email Administrator using the email address administrator at broadsystem.com and delete the email and any attachments immediately. Views or opinions expressed by an individual within this email may not necessarily reflect the views of Broadsystem Ltd or its associated companies. Accordingly, if you wish to rely on any statements made in this email you should seek written (not email) confirmation of such statements. Broadsystem reserves the right to monitor emails in accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.Broadsystem Limited is registered in England (no. 1864565) with its registered address at 1 Virginia Street, London E98 1XY. Main switchboard (Chalfont): 01753 433000