Delegating issue

Fitzner Daniel Daniel.Fitzner at t-systems.com
Fri Jul 28 10:01:32 UTC 2006

Hi gurus,

I have a special problem at one of my customers, maybe you can help.

The zone of my customer looks like:

;
; zone test.com
;
$ORIGIN test.com.
@       IN      SOA     ns1.test.com. hostmaster.test.com.. (
                                2005112101      ; Serial
                                10800   ; Refresh
                                3600    ; Retry
                                604800  ; Expire
                                86400 ) ; Minimum

$ORIGIN com.
test                            IN      NS      ns1.test.com.
                                IN      NS      ns2.test.com.
                                IN      MX      1       mail.test.com

					  IN      A       1.1.1.4
$ORIGIN test.com.
ns1                             IN      A       1.1.1.1
ns2                             IN      A       1.1.1.2
mail                            IN      A       1.1.1.3
www					  IN      A       1.1.1.4
delegate				  IN 	    A       1.1.1.5

Everything works fine, you can resolve www.test.com and test.com to
1.1.1.4.

Now we want to delegate the resolving of the A-Records www.test.com and
test.com to another device, but let ns1.test.com the authoritive ns for
the whole domain.

If I replace

www					  IN      A       1.1.1.4

with

www					  IN      NS
delegate.test.com

all queries for www.test.com are delegated to delegate.test.com and
answered by this nameserver.

But I am not able to delegate the resolving of the A-Record of test.com.
I tried

$ORIGIN com.

test					  IN CNAME www.test.com

and also

$ORIGIN com.

test					  IN NS delegate.test.com

Has anyone a solution for this scenarion.

Keep in mind: I don't want to delegate the whole zone to this new device
only the resolving of A-Records for www.test.com and test.com

Thanks and best regards