named doesn't listen on a interface after interface down-up

blrmaani blrmaani at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 15:16:41 UTC 2006

I am running named in a chroot jail ( user=named, grp=named ).
I have 2 interfaces. The listen-interval is set to 1 second in
named.conf

Upon starting named for the first time, the syslog messages
shows that the named is listening on both the interfaces.

I bringdown one of the interfaces and bring it up. The syslog
shows a error  message something like:

"....permission denied for the interface lan0 ..."

If I run named as a root, then I don't see this problem.
I also don't see this problem if I stop and start named
( even though named is run as a non-root user ).

Question:

1. Is this a known issue when named is run as a non-root user?
2. What is the workaround other than stopping and starting named?

thanks in advance
Blr