UDP packet loss

Patrick Klos pklos at osmium.mv.net
Thu Jun 8 14:38:53 UTC 2006

In article <e69ccs$cbm$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Pavel Urban  <urbanp at mlp.cz> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I've tried to find out the cause of some strange resolving problem we
>are experiencing. From time to time, our server seems to ignore some
>requests, while others are answered promptly. It seems to me that the
>problem is UDP packet loss.
>
>Udp:
>     948795842 packets received
>     149802 packets to unknown port received.
>     214635022 packet receive errors
>     1003702082 packets sent
>
>I've tried to increase system udp receive buffer 10x and then 100x with
>no noticable effect. Do I have to change something in Bind, too? Or am I
>  completely wrong?

I'd say your biggest problem is the 214 million packet receive errors!
Find the source of those errors, and you'll likely take care of your
problem.  Your machine is tossing 1 out of every 4 or 5 packets!

    Patrick Klos                           Email: patrick at klos.com
    Klos Technologies, Inc.                Web:   http://www.klos.com/
==================== http://www.loving-long-island.com/ ====================