Sort order of MX records while doing nslookup

Martin Rådbo news at teknologia.com
Mon Mar 6 16:39:37 UTC 2006

If we run the command "dig domainname.com MX" or similar (could be nslookup
or whatever) the dns server responds with a list of MX-records for that
particulary domain name, i.e.

dig teknologia.com returns
teknologia.com.         14400   IN      MX      20 mail3.latitud.net.
teknologia.com.         14400   IN      MX      30 mail4.latitud.net.
teknologia.com.         14400   IN      MX      10 mail.latitud.net.

The sort order is different each time, is there a way to change this?
I am aware that in normal circumstances this is without need because the
mail server will automatically pick the row with the lowest weight number.

But we are in a situation running a very small and stupid smtp server (a
part of a fax server program) and it seems to choose the first line on t he
list instead of the lowest weight numbered row.

Is it possible to change the way BIND returns this list or not?

Best regards
Martin Rådbo
Teknologia