splitting reverse-zone-file

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Mar 9 23:33:57 UTC 2006

Barry Margolin wrote:

>In article <dulbkd$1lc1$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>

>>Barry Margolin wrote:

>>>The terms have essentially changed meaning.  Nowadays, "class C" means
>>>/24, "class B" means /16, and "class A" means /8.
>>>

>>According to what RFC?
>>

>The same RFC that says that "hacker" means someone who tries to break
>into computers rather than someone who is really adept at using
>computers.
>
>Language is defined by common usage, not by RFCs.

Language is contextual and often subjective. Standards are universal and
objective; at least, they strive to be.

So standards will say "right" things, and people will, sometimes, say
"wrong" things, and they'll continue to be corrected. Such is the way of
technology. I don't think it's reasonable, though, to just surrender,
acquiesce to "common usage" (whatever that may be in a particular
context at a particular time) and let the technical field degenerate
into a Tower of Babel, do you?