"zone already exists" error preventing reload

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Mon Mar 6 23:14:34 UTC 2006

> To: "William R. Dickson" <lackey at manoutoftime.org>
> Cc: bind-users at isc.org
> From: Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org>
> Subject: Re: "zone already exists" error preventing reload
> Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 08:57:26 +1100
>

> > There is one particular domain that, when added to named.conf,
> > prevents a reload. The error is:
> >
> > /usr/local/namedb/named.conf:72228: zone 'foo.com': already exists
> >
> > I've received this error before when a coworker has somehow managed
> > to add a domain twice. So I went looking for the duplicate...and
> > couldn't find one!

Taking Mark's comment (below) into account, the following command should be:

root at oak#  grep -i foo.com named.conf

to make the search case InSeNsItIvE...

> > root at oak# grep foo.com named.conf
> > named.conf:zone "foo.com" {
> > named.conf:     file "dbfiles/foo.com";
> >
> > But sure enough...commenting out the record in named.conf stops the
> > error from occurring, and named can still serve up responses for the
> > domain!
> >
> > I'm stumped...haven't found a similar issue in the list archives or
> > via google. Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Bill
>
> 	Why do people do case sensitive searches on case insensitive
> 	data?
>
> 	Mark
> --
> Mark Andrews, ISC
> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin