upgrading BIND 921 to 932

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Mar 17 03:06:49 UTC 2006

simon church wrote:

>forgot to add, when trying to query a zone, the message comes back "can't find 'zone' server failed". I ran filemon to see if it was having problems accessing the db files but it did not appear to be the case.

You seem to be preoccupied with file permissions problems; have you been
burnt by those recently?

SERVFAIL is a very generic error. It suggests that the zone failed to
load, but doesn't give any more details than that. I would recommend
running the named-checkzone utility on the zone file to more preceisely
identify any syntax problems. Since this problem started after an
upgrade, make sure you run the matching version of named-checkzone.

>Doing an upgrade do I need to rerun the rndc-confgen -a?

I don't see why that would be necessary. Are you having problems using
rndc also?

- Kevin