gethostbyaddr_r returns zero length hostname (and success response)

kapilbajaj at gmail.com kapilbajaj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 03:30:04 UTC 2006

Hi,

 I have observed that gethostbyaddr_r returns zero length hostname but
success response. This behavior is not consistent. Sometimes it returns
0 length hostname. Hostname entry exists in dns.
If we put a check for this and retry it again returns the same result.
But if we exit from program and invoke it again it returns correct
hostname.
Please let me know if anyone experienced this behavior in past?

Thanks,
Kapil