bind machine performance for around 500 domains

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Mon May 1 22:10:42 UTC 2006

At 04:54 PM 5/1/2006, Gaud wrote:
>The company I work for wants me to manage their zones and everything
>related to DNS,
>So I must set a master and a slave server for around 500 differents
>domains.
>Now we are wondering..
>
>How many bandwidth do we need ?
>
>What type of machine do we need for very good performance.
>is a celeron 2.0ghz enough or should we go with P4 ht ?
>

>in my opinion, a celeron would be enough but I just want to know what
>you think about it.
>
>thanks you all for your answers
>
>Gaud

I have a secondary serving over 1700 domains on a dual processor P3
667MHz box with 768MB of RAM. The CPU load averages around 15 to 20%.
Anything should be fine for 500 zones.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain