bind machine performance for around 500 domains

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Mon May 1 23:31:21 UTC 2006

Gaud <gaud at gaudtechnologies.com> wrote:
> The company I work for wants me to manage their zones and everything
> related to DNS, So I must set a master and a slave server for around
> 500 differents domains.  Now we are wondering..

> How many bandwidth do we need ?

How long is a piece of string?-)

> What type of machine do we need for very good performance.
> is a celeron 2.0ghz enough or should we go with P4 ht ?

> in my opinion, a celeron would be enough but I just want to know
> what you think about it.

When you say "bandwidth" are you only concerned about CPU consumption,
or are you also concerned about bits/packets per second on the wire?

Both will actually depend on what you expect your query rate to be.  I
suppose that can be related in part to the number of domains you
serve, but it also will relate to how popular any of those domains
might be.

rick jones