my isp is blocking my IP address

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 10 04:15:17 UTC 2006

In article <e3qg8l$24hs$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "Bernard" <bernarda at onebox.com>
wrote:

> Hi all I'm in a situation where my isp has upgrades their adsl system
> such that my modem logs into their router and their router connects me
> to the net using a private ip address.
>
> When I ping the router's address I get a timed out message so in fact
>  there is no way of directly connecting to my computer from the net
> using an ip address.
>
> I need this in order to remotely connect to my video surveillance
> system at home from  my work place, in the absence of getting a static
> ip address (which is a bit pricy ) what can I do???

What does this have to do with BIND?  BIND is used for translating names
to addresses, and has nothing to do with routing.

If your ISP doesn't offer any form of port forwarding on the router,
then there's no way to connect to your private IP.  You should get
another ISP that gives customers routable IPs.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA