different internal and external views of a zone

Merton Campbell Crockett m.c.crockett at adelphia.net
Tue May 16 03:18:17 UTC 2006

On 14 May 2006, at 15:37 , Karl Auer wrote:

>> Were there a need for the external and internal zone information to
>> match, I would configure the ISC DHCP Server to perform dynamic
>> updates to both the internal and the external name servers.
>
> Do you mean "configure it to make the same update twice, once to the
> internal and one to the external server" or do you mean "configure
> it so
> that it sends updates for both private and public addresses"?

We're not concerned about the private addresses.  A n

> If the first, how can the DHCP server distinguish between a private
> address (which should be updated only in the internal view) and a
> public
> address (which should be updated in both the internal AND the external
> views)?

The DHCP Server doesn't know whether an IP address is public or
private.  All it knows is that the addresses are from different IP
address pools.  For each pool you define the zones that need to be
updated and the name server that is the master for each.

> If the second, same question plus how do you make it send two sets of
> updates for the one address allocation (i.e., when the address is
> public)?
>
> Regards, K.
>
> --
> ~