different internal and external views of a zone

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Tue May 16 04:17:29 UTC 2006

Hi Merton.

> We're not concerned about the private addresses.

Um, but *I* am! Very.

> The DHCP Server doesn't know whether an IP address is public or
> private.  All it knows is that the addresses are from different IP
> address pools.  For each pool you define the zones that need to be
> updated and the name server that is the master for each.

And that, right there, is the problem. The DHCP server can only update
one server for any given name or address. The problem with some names is
that they need to be visible to internal AND external users, so need to
be in TWO places.

I'll pose my question more succinctly:

- we have a situation where some names in a domain need to be only
internally visible, and some need to be both internally and externally
visible.

- there is a problem with DHCP and names that need to be internally and
externally visible, because the DHCP server can update only one view per
name.

- is there a solution?

This is the kind of situation I mean:

domain.com, external view, contains:

   foo.domain.com 1000 in a 129.132.1.1

domain.com, internal view, contains;

   foo.domain.com 1000 in a 129.132.1.1
   bar.domain.com 2000 in a 192.168.2.2

Now imagine a DHCP server needs to register snafu.domain.com. To be
visible to our internal users, snafu has to be registered in the
internal view, like foo is. To be visible to our external users, it must
also be registered in the external view - like foo is. How do we get
snafu into both views?

We can't use secondarying, because that puts the same data in both
views.

Regards, K.