Zone reload time after NOTIFY

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue May 23 23:30:09 UTC 2006

> > > I have a BIND machine configured as a secondary server with 1 zone.
> > > The zone can receive many DDNS update from Windows clients.
> > The DDNS
> > > updates occur on the primary server, which is Windows 2003. My
> > > question is that although the primary DNS server sends
> > NOTIFY's to the
> > > BIND server, the BIND server takes quite a while before it
> > implements any of the changes.
> > > I can not find any BIND config option that will effect the
> > > responsiveness of BIND to NOTIFY's. I don't want to force BIND to
> > > reload the zone for every NOTIFY, but I would like to have some
> > > control over the amount of time taken to implement the
> > changes in the zone.
> >
> > What is "quite a while"?  BIND waits a random amount of time,
> > to avoid a thundering herd problem if all the slaves tried to
> > transfer immediately.
> > But this shouldn't be much more than a minute, I think.
> >
> > --
> > Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
> > Arlington, MA
> > *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
> > *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***
> >

> Its been between 15-30 minutes each time. BIND is installed from RPM,
> and
> running on a RHEL 4 machine.
>
> Thanks,
> Casey

	Are you measuring the time it takes named to write the
	master file or the time it takes named to transfer the
	updated zone contents and to serve the contents.  These
	are usually very different times.

	Are the notify messages being sent from a address in the
	masters clause.  Named will, by default, only act on notify
	messages that match a master.  Notifies from non masters
	will be acknowledge but otherwise ignored.

	Lastly there are many different versions of BIND.  It is
	useful to report which version you are running,  "named -v"
	will report it.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC