Configuration about bind name serser.

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 29 23:31:16 UTC 2006

In article <e5fbr8$155g$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Robert Spangler <lazydog at zoominternet.net> wrote:

> On Thu May 25 2006 18:39, Barry Margolin wrote:
>
> >  >             I am Sandip Kumar ghosh. I have bind9 base name server with
> >  > static IP. My OS is FreeBSD4.10. I have a register domain like
> >  > <mydomain.com>. In my domain there are two nameserver like
> >  > <ns1.mydomain.com> & <ns2.mydomain.com> with the two public IP. In my
> >  > name server I put the diffrent 55 public web server IP. From which ur
> >  > web site is controling. when i put the command "dig www.mydomain.com",
> >  > my ns reply me the hole 55 IP with round robin base , which is declear
> >  > my name server. My requerment is when i put the command "dig
> >  > www.mydomain.com" the name server reply me atlest 10 IP of this 55 IP
> >  > as a round robin. Each request the name server reply the differnt set
> >  > of 10 IP from the privious reply.
> >
> >  Ordinary BIND cannot do this.  You'll need to modify the source code
> >  yourself, or use a different nameserver.
> >
> >  With that many sites, maybe you should be using a service like Akamai.
> >  They have a fancy, custom DNS architecture that is designed for
> >  distributing load across lots of different servers.
>
> I may be off in left field here but I thought Bind could already do this.
> The
> process was simple too if I remember correctly.
>
> www.mydomain.com  A 10.0.0.1
>       10.0.0.2
>       10.0.0.3
>       10.0.0.4
>       10.0.0.5
>
> And so forth.....  Bind would then round robin the IP addresses I thought.
> Like I said I might be out in left field here. :)

But that's not what I think he asked for.  He wants it to return a
SUBSET of the addresses.  He said he's going to list 55 addresses, and
he wants it to return only 10 at a time.  I'm not sure WHY he thinks
it's necessary to restrict to only 10 addresses, but that's what it
seems like he asked for.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA