MX pointing to CNAME

Tom Del Rosso td_01 at att.net.invalid
Tue May 30 05:12:40 UTC 2006

Who's right?  The ISP says MX records must point to a canonical name, but
dnsreport.com says "CNAMEs are prohibited in MX records".

Why is is that, while this ISP already has the MX for one of my domains
pointing to another domain, the dnsreport.com report says "There appear to
be no CNAMEs returned for A records lookups from your MX records".

For another of my domains that is hosted by Earthlink, the MX is also
pointed at another domain, but in that case the dnsreport.com report says
"One or more of your MX records points to a CNAME" and dnsreport considers
that a 'fail' error.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.