Arbitrary associating an ip to a particular domain

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Tue May 30 16:36:05 UTC 2006

sebastien.martini at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm a newbie with bind and i look for any kind of help.
>
> I have a simple bind server caching dns queries, the requests are
> forwarded to my isp if there are not already in cache. This is just a
> basic configuration. So i have a local network, wich use this cache as
> nameserver, thus let me explain my problem:
>
> For some reasons i don't want cache and return the real ip of a
> particular domain. For example, if user queries www.foo.com (which
> doesn't belong to me), i don't want that bind first forward the query
> to my isp then reply with the appropriate ip, instead, i wish it had
> replied say with 192.168.0.1 (a local server).  In short, i want to
> associate www.foo.com with a fixed ip: 192.168.0.1 and that without
> forwarding the request.
>
> First i don't know the best way to resolve my problem: is it possible ?
> should i insert the couple of values in the cache ? can i ? is there
> some tools doing that ?
>
> BTW, i don't want to modify the clients hosts files.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> sébastien

Allo Sébastien,

in named.conf you must load a zonefile for foo.com

/etc/named.conf:
zone "foo.com" in {
   type master;
   file "foo.com.zone";
   allow-query { homenet; };
};

homenet is a description of my local clients so I dont accidently
publish this information to the outside.

Next you need a zonefile for foo.com

foo.com.zone:

$TTL 2D
$ORIGIN foo.com.

@ 86400 IN SOA echnaton.serveftp.com. peter.peter-dambier.de. 20050327 10800 7200 3600000 10800

         IN      NS      MyServer

MyServer IN     A       127.0.0.1
@       IN      A       127.0.0.1
*       IN      A       127.0.0.1
www     IN      A       192.168.0.1

Et voilà, il n'y a plus de popup de l'estie de foo.com

But in case you need them, you might add the MX records of the real
foo.com so you can still email them

Salue
Peter et Karin Dambier

--