Recursion off\forward

Chris Thompson cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 15 19:00:41 UTC 2006

On Nov 15 2006, Nick Allum wrote:

>I had another question within regarding "recursion off"
>
>If you have recursion off and you have a CNAME that point to some non
>authorative domain/A Record you get a negative response.

You get a response with the answer section containing the CNAME but not the
A record, and an rcode of zero. I wouldn't call that "a negative response".
An iterative resolver has to be able to deal with such responses.

>Is there a way to work around this. Senario My server is the authority
>for abcd.com and withing the abcd.com record I have the following
>
>Test	IN	CNAME		hdshsh.frdskfjh.com
>
>For which "frdskfjh.com" I am not the authority for so when I try to
>lookup test.abdc.com I get a negative response. Is there a way to work
>around this other than using the IP vs CNAME.

It seems to me that you are still asking for "recursion sometimes" rather
than "recursion no".

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk