Recursion no

Nick Allum Nick.Allum at rci.rogers.com
Thu Nov 16 15:23:51 UTC 2006

Do you know how you would go about locking down your advertisitng DNS
Servers by turning recursion off but still allowing some CNAME's to
resolve to other external non authorative.

For example you are advertising the domain

hello.com

In the zone file it contains

Test		IN	A	142.142.14.2
More		IN	A	142.142.14.3
Again		IN	A	142.142.14.4
Out		IN	CNAME	somexternal.domain.com.
Nice		IN	A	142.146.144.5
Outside	IN	CNAME yahooos.yahoo.com.

The hostname outside.hello.com. Will not resolve as my servers is non
recursive, also out.hello.com. Will also not resolve. How would I be
able to work around this situation in order to protect my dns server
from performing recursive lookups to the rest of the world.

Thanks
Nick