Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Nov 27 14:57:58 UTC 2006

Mark Watts <m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to configure 3 domains on a hidden-master with 3 slaves using views
>so that each slave will only see one of the 3 domains.
>I'm not entirely sure I understand what I have to do properly - can anyone
>point me at some sample configs that do this?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mark.

In its simplest form on the hidden master:

--------
acl view1 {
             192.168.1.0/24
          }
acl view2 {
             192.168.2.0/24
          }
acl view3 {
             192.168.3.0/24
          }

view "view1" {
     match-clients { "view1"; };
     <<Here put the zone defintions for view1.>>
}
view "view2" {
     match-clients { "view2"; };
     <<Here put the zone defintions for view2.>>
}
view "view3" {
     match-clients { "view3"; };
     <<Here put the zone defintions for view3.>>
}
view "view-default" {
     match-clients { "any"; };
     <<Here put the zone defintions for the default view.>>
}
--------

If any machine in the 192.168.1.x subnet queries the hidden master
(e. g., the first slave requesting a zone transfer), then that slave
will match view1, and it will get the zones defined in that view.

Ditto for view2 and view3.  Any client that does not match the first
three views will get the default view.  If there are zones that are
common to more than one view, and the zone information does not change
for each view, then use

--------
view "view1" {
     match-clients { "view1"; };
     include "named.conf.non-views";
     <<Here put the zone defintions for view1.>>
}
--------

where you put those zone definitions in a separate file that gets
included.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov