using $INCLUDE with views

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Mon Oct 9 04:13:52 UTC 2006

BIND 9.2.4 on Debain Stable

Does bind take views into consideration when checking the SOA serial
number?

I'm using views to have different internal an external zone files for
the same domain.

The zones are very similar -- the internal one just has internal IPs
added, and the external has additional NS records.

In my first attempt I put the SOA in the common $INCLUDE file.  Upon
restart, though, it seemed only one zone was loaded (axfr only worked
from the LAN side).

I moved the SOA out of the common file and into each of the two zone
files and then it worked fine.

Was that because I had two zone files (for the same domain) with the
same SOA serial number?

I'm wondering if using views requires anything special with regard to
the serial numbers.

For example, if my internal view of a zone has serial 100 and my
external has 99, if I bump my external to 100 will bind see the change
in the serial?  Or will it think there's no change since it's already
seen 100 for that domain (in the internal view)?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org