nslookup tries only first dns in resolv.conf

linuxnewbie1234 linuxnewbie1234 at nowhere.com
Sat Oct 21 19:28:40 UTC 2006

Hi all, not sure it's the right NG but...

We have an internal network of linux computers, with an internal DNS to
resolve internal names, then we have two external DNSs to resolve
external names.
So in the internal computers, resolv.conf contains 3 entries.

Now, internal linux machines query only the FIRST dns server written in
resolv.conf, failing to resolve SOME(*) external names.

Question: why don't these machines try the other DNSs in resolv.conf?
And: what is the proper configuration to make the thing work?

TIA
(*) for a reason not exactly known to me right now, the internal DNS is
capable to resolve also many external names, that's why many external
names are anyway resolved by the internal computers.