mail record problem

Steve Ingraham singraham at okcca.net
Fri Oct 27 13:54:54 UTC 2006

I am not sure that it is or is not a DNS problem.  I was posting to this
list to see if any of you smart guys out there would have any insight.
I am attempting to understand a network that was set up by someone else.
I frankly do not quite understand why it was set up the way it was.

My problem has nothing to do with whether the mail.occa.state.ok.us or
the mxi.occa.state.ok.us is bogus.  I was asking if anyone would have
some ideas as to why my users can no longer access our email by using
mail.occa.state.ok.us from the internet as they had in the past and now
they have to use mxi.occa.state.ok.us and why the smart phone I
mentioned could not access email using any address.  My belief is that
perhaps this is a configuration problem associated with domain names and
their associated IP addresses in some way but I really am not sure of
that at all either.  I am attempting to determine if there were some
changes to these IP addresses that may have caused this to happen.

If I knew the answers I would have no need to ask the question so
forgive me if I don't have the wisdom others on this list have.  I
thought I was on a list designed to offer some knowledge to people not
chastise them for the manner in which they asked a question.

Steve Ingraham

Kevin Darcey wrote:
I'm not sure why you think this might be a DNS problem. Both
mail.occa.state.ok.us and mxi.occa.state.ok.us resolve on the Internet.
Whether the addresses to which they resolve are "appropriate" or not, we

have no way of knowing. You should know your own network well enough to
tell whether those addresses are bogus or not.