mail record problem

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Oct 28 04:09:42 UTC 2006

In article <ehtd1f$1k2r$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Steve Ingraham" <singraham at okcca.net> wrote:

> I am not sure that it is or is not a DNS problem.  I was posting to this
> list to see if any of you smart guys out there would have any insight.
> I am attempting to understand a network that was set up by someone else.
> I frankly do not quite understand why it was set up the way it was.
>
> My problem has nothing to do with whether the mail.occa.state.ok.us or
> the mxi.occa.state.ok.us is bogus.  I was asking if anyone would have
> some ideas as to why my users can no longer access our email by using
> mail.occa.state.ok.us from the internet as they had in the past and now
> they have to use mxi.occa.state.ok.us and why the smart phone I
> mentioned could not access email using any address.  My belief is that
> perhaps this is a configuration problem associated with domain names and
> their associated IP addresses in some way but I really am not sure of
> that at all either.  I am attempting to determine if there were some
> changes to these IP addresses that may have caused this to happen.

Well, is 204.87.111.225 the correct address for mail.occa.state.ok.us or
isn't it?  That's what DNS is returning.  If it's correct, then this
isn't a DNS problem.

When I try to connect to port 110 on that address, I never get a
response.  This generally means one of these problems: 1) the server
with that address is down; 2) the server is disconnected from the
network; or 3) there's a firewall or filtering router blocking POP
connections to the server.

It doesn't look like #1 or #2, because I can ping the address.  Also, I
can connect to the web server on this address, too.  I see the same web
page as when I go to www.occa.state.ok.us, although that address
resolves to 204.87.111.228.

I suggest you investigate firewall problems.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA