MX Record Configuration

Tue Oct 31 00:00:22 UTC 2006

I used to do the exact same thing (even with 123-reg!) before I got my
own secondary backup server.
No there's no magic on the name - as long as the A record exists for eg.
"server.domain.com. IN MX 10", then you're fine.

A word of warning following personal experience - make sure your own
nameserver setup is top-notch, and, if your domain was purchased through
123-reg, but has it's DNS hosted elsewhere, you will need to contact
their support helpdesk and ask them to remove the zone file for your
domain, otherwise their servers will reject the mail - I had weeks of a
nightmare trying to sort this one out.
Just explain to them your DNS is hosted elsewhere, and request them to
remove your domain's zone file config from their servers.

(And don't tell them you're using their POP3 service as a backup to your
own mail service - they'll blame everything that goes wrong on your setup!)

Andy.