Problem after upgrading to BIND 9

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri Sep 1 00:42:39 UTC 2006

Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:
>> > You have fixed the symptom but not the problem.  getaddrinfo(),
>> > which telnet should be using, only looks for IPv6 addresses if there
>> > is IPv6 support enabled.  You will have trouble talking to all dual
>> > stack machines unless you find the real cause.
>>
>> Do you mean the AI_ADDRCONFIG flag?  Doesn't that have to be set
>> explicitly by the caller of getaddrinfo() as it is not a default?

> RFC 2553       Basic Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6     March 1999

>    The special flags value of AI_DEFAULT is defined as

>       #define  AI_DEFAULT  (AI_V4MAPPED | AI_ADDRCONFIG)

[my appologies if this dups, I received a reply both in email and to
 the usenet group...]

Interesting.  I find that in an HP-UX 11.11 include file, but not one
on an Ubuntu Dapper system.

I went looking at the RFC and while the thing is named AI_DEFAULT I
didn't get the impression that it was meant to be the default if one
didn't specify any flags:

<excerpt>
   The flags argument specifies the types of addresses that are searched
   for, and the types of addresses that are returned.  We note that a
   special flags value of AI_DEFAULT (defined below) should handle most
   applications.

   That is, porting simple applications to use IPv6 replaces the call

      hptr = gethostbyname(name);

   with

      hptr = getipnodebyname(name, AF_INET6, AI_DEFAULT, &error_num);

</excerpt>

Which suggests it is still an explicit setting of a flag that
implicitly includes AI_ADDRCONFIG.

rick jones