Problem after upgrading to BIND 9

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at
Fri Sep 1 00:03:07 UTC 2006

Mark Andrews wrote:
>>Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at> wrote:
>>>You have fixed the symptom but not the problem.  getaddrinfo(),
>>>which telnet should be using, only looks for IPv6 addresses if there
>>>is IPv6 support enabled.  You will have trouble talking to all dual
>>>stack machines unless you find the real cause.
>>Do you mean the AI_ADDRCONFIG flag?  Doesn't that have to be set
>>explicitly by the caller of getaddrinfo() as it is not a default?
> RFC 2553       Basic Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6     March 1999
>    The special flags value of AI_DEFAULT is defined as

Interesting.  I find that in an HP-UX 11.11 include file, but not one on
an Ubuntu Dapper system.

I went looking at the RFC and while the thing is named AI_DEFAULT I
didn't get the impression that it was meant to be the default if one
didn't specify any flags:

    The flags argument specifies the types of addresses that are searched
    for, and the types of addresses that are returned.  We note that a
    special flags value of AI_DEFAULT (defined below) should handle most

    That is, porting simple applications to use IPv6 replaces the call

       hptr = gethostbyname(name);

       hptr = getipnodebyname(name, AF_INET6, AI_DEFAULT, &error_num);

Which suggests it is still an explicit setting of a flag that implicitly

rick jones