DNS problems / unable to reach authoritative server?

Brenckle, Nicholas NBrenckle at dsl.net
Wed Sep 13 12:35:01 UTC 2006

I didn't get any advice from my usual source of info, so I thought I'd
ask on here.

I have a weird DNS problem where some of my DNS servers (customer
resolvers) can see a domain, and some cant. From the ones that can,
everything works fine. From the ones that don't, I get timeouts when
doing a host or a dig, but I can request information from the auth DNS
server for that domain without a problem. The question is, where in the
chain is it failing to tell the server that doesn't work, where to get
the information?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick

---- working one
[nbrenckle at ns1 ~]$ host www.phila.gov
www.phila.gov has address 170.115.249.40
[nbrenckle at ns1 ~]$ dig phila.gov

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> phila.gov
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;phila.gov.                     IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
phila.gov.              18536   IN      A       170.115.249.40

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
phila.gov.              18536   IN      NS      dns2.phila.gov.
phila.gov.              18536   IN      NS      dns.phila.gov.

;; Query time: 6 msec
;; SERVER: 209.87.64.70#53(209.87.64.70)
;; WHEN: Tue Sep 12 09:47:58 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 80

[nbrenckle at ns1 ~]$

---- not working one (but see last info  - 170.115.249.10 is the ip of